Lemons are a summertime favorite and for good reason. They go well in your tea, add zest to cheesecakes, and even brighten up plain, old water. Oh, and you can’t forget another perennial summertime staple: lemon bread! This recipe for classic Lemon Bread is easy to follow and hard to forget. Plus, the entire recipe comes together in just over an hour!
• 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
• 2 1/4 cups flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
• 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
• 3 large eggs
• 3/4 cup milk
• 4 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° F and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/4 cups sugar. Add the softened butter and with a pastry blender and blend until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the lemon zest.
3. In a small bowl add eggs and beat lightly with a fork. Add milk and mix until combined, then pour this mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until flour is moistened.
4. In a prepared loaf pan, add the batter and bake for 1-1 1/4 hours (or until a toothpick comes out clean). Cool, then move to a wire rack.
5. To create the glaze: In a small pot over medium heat, add the 4 1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil until thickened. Remove from heat. With a pastry brush, brush syrup over the top of the bread.
There’s nothing like expanding your meal plan with a new recipe! Firewheel Town Village Apartments in Garland, Texas is proud to introduce you to new meal ideas that will keep your family and friends coming back for more.