Walking is an everyday activity for most of us. We walk around our apartment homes, to our cars, up flights of stairs, and more, all without giving the activity much thought. But, walking is also a great way to exercise and supply walkers with many health benefits. Read on to discover 6 things to know about starting a walking exercise routine.
• Walking can help you lose weight. When you walk for more than 45 minutes at a brisk pace, your body burns stored fat, which in turn helps you lose weight and excess body fat.
• Walking posture is important. You should work on maintaining good walking posture, arm motion, and foot motion to get the most out of a walking workout. Walk with your back straight, and don’t be afraid to swing your arms. This keeps your momentum going.
• You need the right walking shoes. If you’re walking for fitness, don’t make the mistake of going without proper athletic shoes. Look for flat, flexible athletic shoes that fit right.
• Walking is good for many health conditions. Walking for 30 minutes per day, five times per week is recommended for people with arthritis and for people with diabetes. Regular walking is also a great way to prevent or manage many health conditions.
• Walking can improve your mood. In a bad mood? Taking a walk can help relieve stress and think more clearly. There may be even more benefits if you walk in a park or natural area. Enjoy the greenery and see how much better you feel afterward!
• You can enjoy a variety of walking workouts. Did you know that there are many different ways to walk? Try walking with weights, moving your arms as you walk, or alternating your pace between slow and brisk.
Physical activity and nutrition are an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At Firewheel Town Village Apartments in Garland, Texas, we do our best to provide our residents with resourceful tips, exercise routines, and even recipes to help you reach your fitness goals.